March 10, 2013

Band- My Favorite Childhood Memory

The topic for today's post is supposed to be about my favorite childhood memory. I don't know about you, but I had a picturesque childhood. I was surrounded by family and friends often and had so many opportunities. That being said, there is no way for me to pick just one memory, so instead I am talking about one of the biggest blessings of my childhood that still sticks with me today....yes, folks, that blessing is band. No, I am not talking about some awesome rock band, I am talking about the school kind, the kind that at some people's school was fuel for bullying, but praise God that it wasn't that way for me.
You see, I started doing band from the day I was born! My dad was a high school band director and so my fall Friday nights were often spent at the football field wearing my toddler sized color guard uniform cheering on my dad, and the rest of the band of course. My dad was (and still is) my superhero. I thought it was so cool that he got to stand on the football field and direct 100 high school students, and they listened. I thought it was so amazing that one person could have that many students respect him...ok I am getting off subject here, but all that to be said because I love my dad. Anyway, if I wasn't at the football field, I was at band camp, winter guard rehearsals and competitions, or band competitions. 
As a family, we were so blessed to be able to travel with my dad's band to some cool places, my favorites being Orlando and Washington D.C. Aside from the traveling I always had my two buddies with me, my brother and my cousin, as well as my always willing to do whatever crazy thing we asked of her Mama, and my super awesome Aunt Tuff and Uncle Al. 

Those were the days I tell ya. 

So, as you can tell, band is a very fond memory of mine, which made my decision to be a part of my high school band a fairly easy choice. I played the flute in concert band (I wanted to play drums but my dad wouldn't let me, and I still bug him about that today) and performed with the color guard for marching season. Memories from band are the best memories I have from high school, and you wanna know what the best part was? My super awesome Aunt Tuff and Uncle Al were my directors! We had some amazing opportunities with our high school band. Our band was not your artsy fartsy type of band...we played rock music, so every performance was so much fun. In the time I was in high school, I was blessed to be able to travel twice to London, England and perform in the New Year's Day Parade there, and if that's not cool, I don't know what is.

Now that I have moved on from band, I still get giddy every time I go to a band competition. I will cherish these memories forever!



On a completely different note, we are taking our kids on a mini vacation this week, so I will be taking a little break from blogging. I'll be back though!

No comments:

Post a Comment